History of Our School
Located at the corner of Third Street and Fourteenth Avenue SW in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the original Van Buren School opened in 1884 and closed in 1970 when the present Van Buren School opened at 2525 29th Street SW. Our school was named after Martin Van Buren who was the 8th President of the United States. Currently 370 students are enrolled from grades K-5. The school nickname is CHARGERS. Perhaps the most famous student to have attended the original Van Buren School was Mamie Eisenhower, First Lady of the United States (1953-1961).